Saturday 30 July 2011

Plotter or Pantser?

Do I plot, or am I more a writing-by-the-seat-of-my-pants person? I'll be honest. I'm definitely the latter. I do plot in my head all the time, but when I come to writing it, I realise that it's a lot different to how I imagined it in my head, with changes left, right and center! When I'm actually writing the chapter, I do have an idea of where I want it to go, and what I want to happen, but that's it. Most times, I just sit down, write it, and let the characters do whatever they want, so long as it's legal, and won't result in them losing any limbs *shifty eyes*

I'm also finding out the joys of multiple plot lines. Right now, I have four going on right now, and the trouble I have trying to keep them on track, and make sure that I don't create massive plot holes for myself... it's incredible. Sometimes I find reading over the previous chapters helps me to keep track of what's going on, so I don't lose track, and get myself all tangled up. At the time of writing, however, I do have two plotlines that are going to come together, if only for a little while (so count five at the moment, if you want to include this mini subplot I came up with a couple of days ago), and then one of them will go off on its own and end up with resolution ... but I do have plans to include the two characters I introduced in future chapters, and possibly the next book (which will be book 4! Yipe!). Well, one of the characters in this little subplot is one I intro'd tonight, and the other has been in the background till now. But they will figure in future chapters, and the next book. I do want to do them as adults (they're children right now, 5 and 7 respectively).

And if anyone wants to see little excerpts, please let me know, and I'll post them up! If you've got suggestions on how to improve them, please comment and let me know, and I'll be sure to take your suggestions on board. Especially if they're sure to improve the overall quality of the book when I get ready to release it! And for the curious, this is book 3 of Seven Masks, the name of my sci-fi series. Book 1 is Neverend, published on Lulu and Amazon as an eBook, Book 2 is Neverblood, and will be published later this year. Book 3 is Neverfound (the book I'm currently working on), and is a work in progress (just to clear up any confusion!).

But the main focus of this post is; plotter or pantser? Mixture of both? Neither? Cookies? *will shut up now* I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment